Saturday, July 14, 2012

What Do Mice Dream Of? Is it Cheesy?



I saw this video first at a Monday evening meeting of a non-denominational church in Brandon, South Dakota. I wasn't wont to go to their meetings or anything, it was one of those "I got invited, what the heck, I might as well see what it is like!" sort of moments. It was a good meeting. I felt pretty motivated to go do good things and all; I seem to remember that there was a baseball diamond used as a way to organize the life of Joseph of Egypt into an argument for the necessity of trials. I kind of liked it---not in a "I am going to turn my back on everything that I believe and live for and learn to play the piano better so I can do the accompaniment on the worship songs and the prayers" sort of way, but definitely in a "this is good motivation for people that are really trying to do their best" sort of way. I definitely try to subscribe to Stendahl's three rules of religious understanding. But that isn't really what this post is about.

This Post is about a mouse. I feel for the mouse. I really do. There he is at the end of the rope, about to kick the bucket. He's spent and I am sure that he is discouraged. I remember that for I while when I was living in Minnesota, in my attic, there was a bench pressing set. Anyone who knows the High Schooler Braden knows that he wasn't really one for working out. Nor was Freshman at Idaho State much for working out. But Missionary Braden in Southwestern Minnesota---He was a little different. He went through phases and the bench in the attic got used way more than Missionary Braden in Southwestern Minnesota (MBISM) thought that he would use it when he first laid eyes on it. But even though MBISM was a reformed man (at least in the case of wanting to work out---motivation is a different story), he still suffered the effects of never bench pressing seriously before. Let me tell you MBISM was almost pinned under that bar and he struggled and struggled to get it up. Luckily he had a strong spotter. 


Knowing what I know about MBISM and his experience with the bench, I think I am qualified to make some assumptions about that mouse. I bet that after that he went and hugged his wife and his children shortly after that near death experience. I bet that he ate a banana to make sure that he didn't get cramped up. And finally, I bet he was better motivated to fulfill his life dreams. I don't know what I mouse's life dream is. I really liked pixar's Ratatouille but that was just one mouse's life dream fulfilled. And I know that not every common mouse's dreams come true. But now, I am feeling pretty motivated to fulfill some life dreams and I am not going to let a bench press or a mousetrap or any other metaphors get in my way!

No comments: