Monday, August 6, 2012

A Letter to P&G

I wrote this letter to P&G as a little side project over this last little bit. I hope you enjoy! I will be putting it into the mail tomorrow morning.

Gillette,
A Division ofP&G
P.O. Box 61
Boston, MA02199

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently purchased a package of fourteen (14) Fusion ProGlide razorcartridges from the Costco store. I was disappointed by the packaging choicesthat your company has made for the marketing and retail of this product. Iwrite to enumerate my concerns and to suggest remedies.

When I made a close inspection of the packaging I noticed that the razors wereorganized in plastic carrying cases with slots for four (4) razors. There arefour (4) cases, which means there are sixteen (16) slots for razors. However,quite wastefully, two of these slots are left empty.  These two emptyslots are problematic for the following reasons: cost efficiency of shipment, Environmentalimpact, and deception of the consumer.

First let us discuss the cost efficiency of transport. I assume thattractor-trailers are used in the distribution of your product. The two emptyslots take up space in a trailer that could be profit for your company. You arealready paying for the space on the trailer. Why not use it?

Second, let us discuss environmental impact. Each time your company leaves aslot on the plastic carrying case empty that excess plastic is wasted. Plasticdoes not biodegrade. It fills landfills and is not efficiently recycled. Ifyour company is not using plastic responsibly, your company is not being aresponsible world citizen.

Finally let us discuss the deception of the consumer. The way that the packageis designed misleads the consumer to think that all of the space is filled withrazors. Only when one views the package from the side does one see the illusionthat is in effect. Some consumers may not notice this trickery until after theyhave purchased or opened the product.

It is not fair to the consumer to do this. Nor is it fair to the environment.  It is inanely inefficient.  Moreefficiency could bring your product to a lower price point that would make theproduct affordable to a larger portion of the market.

I like your product; however I will start looking for a more sensible option ifI don't see a change. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely
Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/images/cleardot.gif

Braden Clinger


No comments: