Thursday, November 8, 2012

Paints For The Canvas

I like the person I am becoming. Mostly. Well, kind of almost entirely.

I am sure that 22 years down the line (when I am double my current age) I will look at my 22 year-old self in that "benefit of 20/20 hindsight" way and know that I had a lot to work on. I recognize that. I embrace that. And I have a theory that this is why I am happy right now. I realize that I have a lot of work to do, but therein lies the beauty. I am a canvas unfinished. A canvas that I can continue to add pigments to and blend and play with composition and lighting---- In short, the masterpiece of "me" is still a work in process and I am enjoying the journey.

I love my classes. University studies are phenomenal. I recommend it to anybody willing to learn. I am enjoying so many facets of the process and it is an integral part of the progress towards a better me. My classes are rad. Here is the run-down:

Early American Literature
My professor for this received her doctorate from Brown. Which I think is pretty nifty. My literary analysis professor at ISU (Dr. Brian Attebery) was fantastic, and he was a Brown graduate. Brown is two for two in my book. But I digress. I enjoy this class for various reasons. I've been exposed to Native American folklore and conquistador texts and the autobiographies of self-made men Benjamin Franklin and Equiano. There have been Puritans and plantations, spiders dangling over the fires of hell and a woman held captive by a (supposedly Native American) giant. All of this is coupled with some great discussion and a professor who expects a lot out of her students (especially when it comes to written assignments) but she is as helpful as she is challenging.

Earth Systems
The scope is intense. This class attempts to cover the natural processes of the earth---all of them. This is my last semester of taking honest-to-goodness general studies classes. So I am trying to relish it. This class is good for my awareness of the science that happens around me. My teacher is really good at finding interesting Youtube clips to illustrate different phenomena. That is the highlight. I guess the fact that the professor has great metacognition of her horribly punny sense of humor is a plus too.

Biological Anthropology
Another science class. This one is about the physical aspects of being human. The professor is a expert on primates and has spent some significant time in Southeast Asian primate research stations. That said, she couldn't write a multiple choice test to save the orangutans or her own life. The real winning aspect of this class are the discussions she facilitates. I find it quite stimulating to ask What Makes Us Human? and that question is what this class endeavors to answer every week using primates and culture and DNA.

Terrorism and The Radicalization Process
This class leaves me really unsettled at least once a week---at least. I have always loved the social sciences and I think I have been aware of what is going on in the world around me, but actually studying terrorism for an entire semester is great. The textbook is written by Bruce Hoffman (who is often featured on NPR and other news outlets as a "Terrorism Expert" ---He also was head of the RAND corporation for a long time, so I guess he earned the title). It is beautifully composed. My professor's passion for the topic is readily apparent, which is a huge benefit and the subject matter is topical and fascinating.

On top of this I am:

  • Working 20 hours in a job that I enjoy (but couldn't do for the rest of my life).
  • Producing and hosting a two hour literary radio show called Belletrism (it starts at 6:00 every Wednesday night www.radio.usu.edu) on the student run internet radio station on campus.
  • Taking in a lecture or cultural event at least once a week on campus (I have gone to a lecture about Jon Van Eyke, a film screening about the future of energy, poetry readings, concerts, comedy shows, religious studies lectures, etc).
  • Having movie nights (usually weekly).
  • Dating --- like I eat meat --- sparingly
  • Attending an LDS Institute class and singing in the Institute choir.
  • Trying/creating new recipes (I really need to get back to my pre-mission habit of executing a new recipe every week).
  • Attending meetings of Bull Pen, the creative writing club.
  • Cleaning my bedroom/bathroom/apartment every weekend while listening to This American Life and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me. 
  • And trying to keep myself as busy as possible.

 The above lists are part of what is currently shaping my life. It is a great life to be living and I like where I am headed even if I don't really know what the future holds. 

No comments: